2011-03-19

Hexagon Park WIP - quilt top finished


Lynne, once again thank you so much for making this great quilt recipe.

It's been real fun to sew it and I've learnt a lot, mostly through "surprising" discoveries like:
* when you sew two pieces which are at an angle, while aligning them remember about seam allowance, otherwise they end up slightly shifted in relation to each other;
* accuracy in seam allowances does matter, or you may suddenly discover that the border is surprisingly longer than it should be (yeah, I knew this theoretically, now I know practically, too). Now I have a piece of tape stuck to my sewing machine and my stiches are already much improved (I hope ;))

Next weekend I hope to at least start the backing.

13 comments:

  1. You've done a fantastic job! This is not a simple quilt for a beginner - you should be very proud! ;) Do you have a 1/4 inch foot for your machine? Makes all the difference with the seam allowance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The colour combination looks wonderful and I love the little red square you added.
    Fabulous job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I really like your version, love the little red square!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great! Very restful :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've done a beautiful job on the quilt top, its looking great. Good luck with the backing and quilting! (I use a bit of tape on the sewing machine to mark the 1/4" too!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done! I just printed this recipe to make. I am looking forward to attempting it...any pointers?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all for your kind comments. It's so great to know that you like it, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've only ever used white as sashing, but this looks great with black. I think I need to be a bit more adventurous.
    I discovered the importance of 1/4 seams the hard way too! Every one tells you but you only actually believe it when it goes wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness gracious me, I absolutely love it in these colours - wow you did such an amazing job! Are you on Flickr? If so, please add it to the Lily's Quilts Flickr group and also to the Mad for Moda and Moda Bakeshop groups. And, can I use this pic on my blog? I just love it so much and am so excited to see this :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMgosh, I absolutely love this! What a great quilt, you did an awesome job with it. Pure is the best! Pat yourself on the back, this is amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is wonderful! I see you did hang it as a curtain, what did you do about the back? I have thought about making curtains with quilt tops but get stuck on the back. Now I am especially inspired to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. this is so beautiful. i love the dark color. it sets off your fabrics so nicely

    ReplyDelete
  13. your brown sashing is beautiful and the red square is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete